Monday, August 20, 2012

Arri IIc 35mm

The Arri IIc is a 4-perf 35mm camera shooting in 1.66, my friend & great Director of Photography, Derick Avitt owns the classic Arriflex and was kind enough to bring it over to my apartment for me to play with and test some of my expired film stock.  Loading film brings me a lot of joy, if anyone can hook me up with a job in LA loading, please contact me!
I originally met Mr. Derick Avitt & Mr. David Miller thru Ken Rowe.  They hooked me up with my first Camera Assistant gig.  The production was "Love In The Year 2000".  This set is where I first really got a taste of working with an Indie film crew, working as the 2nd AC & Loader.  Got to meet some great film makers out of Seattle, such as Alan Certeza, Chris Duerkopp, Bryan Campbell, Shawn Anderson, Allison Eckert, Greta Wilson, & Michael Kleven.  They flew me down to Panavision LA to check out the G2 with Derick.  This experience of hanging out in the facility where they not only rent the gear but the engineers are also designing everything from the Panaglow to the Anamorphic lenses.

Shooting in an apartment is always a little cramped for space, adding to that the heat, and you tend to learn real quick about not wasting time with setting up a shot.  Here you can see we are on a Schneider 50mm T2.0 which has me fairly smashed on anything I wanted to look at in my apartment.
Even though this day was to mainly serve as a test for the film stock, I wanted to try and find a use for the shots.  My "go to" actor and actress is Jerry Nash & Sarah Milici.  

The stock we tested was 5293 200T & 5296 500T, these cans had seen better days, on of them had the date "3.16.91".  Altogether it was around 400ft of film equalling around 4.5 minutes at 24fps.  I wouldn't even have this stock if wasn't for Ryan Purcell

I think it's funny that since I haven't been in film school for a few months now I'm shooting a lot more and learning more by practical application, shooting a wide variety of subject matter, I suppose you could say I feel like I'm "cutting my teeth".    

1 comment:

  1. Hola James, tengo una cámara similiar y mucha pelicula 5247, pero esta ya ha caducado, desde hace 30 años. Hace poco hice una prueba y aun se ve. Tengo pensado hacer un largometraje con este material. Puedo ver la prueba que hiciste? Saludo desde Bogotá, Colombia

    ReplyDelete