Sunday, November 25, 2012

Vertical Montage

Unfortunately because the other blog I created for this area of my studies is not allowing for embed code, I will be using this space to post about my progress with research and progression in my techniques and theories of re-approaching Eisenstein's "Vertical Montage".

I am reading Eisenstein and conducting research on his work.  This image above represents my early version of approach/technique to vertical montage.

The challenge of developing a new cinematic technique for editing marrying the relationship between cinematic design and sound is my re-approach to Eisenstein's vertical montage, or what I call the art of Cinematic Ninjutsu.

This is a very rough draft of what story boarding in vertical montage looks like.

Here at my first phase of attempting to showcase my theory this seems to be the more important area for documentation as I am wanting others to understand and implement my technique into their own works.  That is the bigger goal here, to bring in an inspiration to all filmmakers.

I have a song selected to use as the audio side of the presentation.  "Found Your Road" is a track my brother had developed quite sometime ago.  I had always planned on using this song to demonstrate this theory.  However, almost a year ago the plan was to create a short called "Machine Activated".  Looking back this short was fairly too large scale for me to manage.  It served as a project to exercise more than my theory, it would have also been one of the largest projects involving a wide range of departments at The Art Institute of Seattle, including: Video Production, Audio Production, Fashion Design, Animation, Game Arts and Design, & Industrial Design.  There was a lot of components to the project which held a very difficult balance all to one another.  The short was about a woman working with machines intercut with a 3D printing machine creating a version of that woman intercut with a spiritual representation of that woman battling twin demons.  She defeats the demons as the machine finishes printing a copy of herself as she finishes forging an alloy object with the use of those other machines.  It would have been a bi-lingual film, English voice over with either Japanese or Vietnamese subtitles.  The subject matter of the dialogue is the woman machinist discussing spiritual growth, remembering those she loses in life to death, embarrassing their life, invoking something they represented inside to have them live on thru her, conquering blocks we face in life that keep us from growing creatively and becoming something more, getting closer to refining ourselves thru time.

"Found Your Road" was the song I would have used for "Machine Activated".  Steering away from the concept of showing my theory in a short, I will now just focus on my re-approach to Eisenstein's Vertical Montage.  The first step is to take the song/sound track and break it down, to pre-visualize how I see it.  Simply put I need to find out how many cuts I think it has.  After that tally is made, I'll know how many character's I'll need for the graphic analysis in designing the sequence.  I am a little confused at this junction as to go in the direction of basing the motion vectors used for design on Japanese calligraphy or perhaps the sequence of stances used in a martial arts style.  When I first came across this perspective it was more about interpretive emotion.  The difference in point is that one would be based on a very intentional series of movements opposed to the other would be based on translation from a sentence in english to japanese generating an unpredictable pattern to making and breaking the patterns.

Walking to school this morning listening to the track my thought was to break in sections.  Doing this could achieve a few things.  For instance if I heard three distinct sections of the song, I might break them into Library, Transportation, & Portraits.  In each of those assigned topics; Library, Transportation & Portraits I would let different pacing take place with in the relationship of the visuals and the audio track.  Calligraphy I think might be the way to go as it's one of the oldest forms of art and a vast array of combinations seem almost endless.  In the end what I believe I'm trying to do is map audio & visual awareness for filmmakers, so the more articulate the design can be the more vast the tool for design should be.





No comments:

Post a Comment